12/19/2014

Practice 3

Task: Write a short Opinion essay (around 250 words) positioning yourself against something most people agree (but you do not).

DRINKING

The vast majority of people gasp horrified when I tell them that I do not drink. And for some strange reason, they always ask me "why not?". Well, why would I? Although drinking is the normal thing to do when you go out with your friends at night, I see it as an unnecessary and stupid activity.
First of all, they say that they drink to have fun and to become more extrovert, so they can make friends more easily. If you can't have fun without drinking, I find it really sad, and you have a serious problem. Besides, are you telling me I have to drink alcohol so the substance affects my brain and therefore meet new people that way? What kind of friendships could you possibly form in that state? Please.
Furthermore most people also use the excuse of "everyone drinks, so...". That is as logical as when everyone jumps off a cliff and you jump after them. And because "everyone drinks", if you tell them you don't, they insist you to drink. It doesn't matter if you have problems with alcohol or it is a personal decision: they won't respect you, and that is something that irritates me a lot.
Also, something that I will never understand is when they're talking about a drink and they say "oh yeah, I've tasted that, it's horrible", and however they still drink it.
For all these reasons, drinking will always be something absurd and dumb to me, even though that is what everyone does when they go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment