11/03/2014

Halloween

Three days ago, it was All Hallow's Eve, or in short, Halloween! It is a holiday especially celebrated in Great Britain, Ireland and USA, since it formed its origins there. But this has changed quite a lot lately. The holiday has expanded through most of the rest of the countries, included Spain. So now in this country, the 31st October, people dress like spooky things (ghosts, witches, mummies, etc) and children go trick-or-treating on the streets.
This Halloween, I didn't dress up or make up, basically because I'm very lazy for these things and I didn't know what to wear. So I only wore black clothes and this hat that I made a year ago for a costume:


Yeah, this is the costume I wore last year for a comic con

At night, I went for a walk with some friends through town, and then I went to their flat to watch a movie. I watched Sweeney Todd, which I've never seen it before until then. In the movie appeared Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, so of course I liked the movie. Then, when I came back to my flat, I talked to my flatmates of how was their Halloween. Some of them watched movies too, and one of them went to a party and had a lot of fun. Plus, her make up was amazing (actually, it didn't surprise me since she's studying art), and it's a pity that she didn't let me upload here some pictures, because you'd surely love it.
Finally, let's talk about marketing. It always overwhelms me how quick things change and how early they sell stuff for certain holidays. Being Halloween in the last day of October, there was already merchandising of it before the month started. And the other day, when I went to the supermarket, I saw that they were already selling Christmas sweets, like nougat. And it wasn't even Halloween yet! In America they're always joking about this:


And I find it kind of sad that nowadays we live in such a hurry. Why do we need to buy everything so early? Do you know the torture that is your mother buying nougat and telling you that you can't eat it until Christmas? It's awful. And it shouldn't be allowed. Also, I know that we the Spaniards are known as people who do everything in the last minute, and that we want to prevent it, but I think we have surpassed that barrier a little too much. Just give it a thought: what is anyone going to do with all the Christmas stuff since November? Most of the people will probably have to remove the Halloween decoration yet, for god's sake. 
So with this said, I hope you all had a wonderful Halloween. And please, don't talk about Christmas until it's actually Christmas. Thank you.





No comments:

Post a Comment