10/01/2014

God bless WiFi

Here I am again, writing another post. But this one is special because... I'm writing it in my flat! Yay!
Well, maybe you don't see it like a big deal, but being without Internet for more than 2 weeks... It has been horrible for me and my flatmates. So imagine our faces today when we received a package that contained this magnificent router:


After cheering and jumping with my flatmates for like, 10 minutes, this made me think... How did we become so dependent on the Internet? Is it simply because of how is our generation? I swear, one of my flatmates has been grumpy since we came here because of the lack of Internet and today, when she saw the router, she almost cried of happiness. But I don't blame her, it's been the same for me. And I don't think it is because we are "greedy kids that don't go out because they're all day on the Internet or playing videogames", as our parents say. We are conditioned by society.
Nowadays, everyone works better with computers, tablets, or even mobile phones, and it is easier to obtain information through Internet. Without going any further, I obtain almost all the University material through its webpage, and I have to say that it really was a nuisance. I had to bring my laptop everyday to University so I could download stuff and make this blog. Anyway, now that I have WiFi, I have to say that it is absolutely great to be at home and work comfortably on your desk.
But it's scary, isn't it? Knowing the fact that we can't work without technology anymore... And don't say we can, because I have proof! My mother worked at an hotel a while ago, and one day, all the computers in the hotel crashed. The chaos took over them: they weren't able to distinguish the rooms that were occupied or the ones that were cleaned, because all that information was in the computers!
Now imagine: the Internet, that marvelous, wonderful place where most of the world's data is saved... What would happen if one day it suddenly crashed too?

No comments:

Post a Comment